Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
1 serving: 277 mg. sodium per serving
1. Combine oregano and next 5 ingredients in a bowl.
2. Wash and dry mushroom. Remove stem and gently scrape out the gills with a spoon.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spread 1/2 teaspoon oil over top of mushroom. Place stem side down on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and pat mushroom dry with a paper towel. Set it aside on a plate. Then use the towel to remove any liquid from parchment paper.
3. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in an 8-inch skillet over medium low heat. Add onions and tomatoes. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
5. Add spices. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine. Remove pan from heat.
7. Spoon stuffing mixture into mushroom cap. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
8. Place stuffed mushroom back onto parchment lined baking sheet, stuffed side up. Bake in oven until cheese is melted and begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Serve.
*If you cannot find shredded mozzarella cheese with 80 mg. of sodium per ounce, look for the fresh mozzarella cheese that has 40 mg. of sodium per ounce, and subtract 40 mg. of sodium from the total noted above. This fresh cheese comes soaked in water, so has to be drained and wiped dry before shredding. It cooks just fine, and can be frozen in portions once it is dried. If you choose to add a mozzarella cheese higher than 80 mg. per ounce, adjust the sodium content of this recipe accordingly.