Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Vegetable Bean Soup
The homemade vegetable broth lowers the sodium content of this soup. If you use store bought low sodium vegetable broth that contains 140 mg. of sodium per serving, the total sodium content of each serving of soup would be 286 mg.
3 servings: 220 mg. sodium per serving
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
1. Combine carrot and celery in a bowl.
1. Heat oil in a stockpot over medium low heat. Add the carrot and celery. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the zucchini and mushrooms. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the vegetable broth, beans and salt. Bring to a boil; turn the heat down to simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
4. Divide soup into 3 equal servings. Top each serving with one-third of the avocado. Serve.