Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
This dish combines two left-over servings of Pork Chops in Tomato Sauce with beans and lower sodium chorizo sausage to make a unique fabada (bean stew). The low sodium nature of this dish is made possible by using chorizo sausage that has a total of 530 mg. of sodium per sausage.
4 servings: 179 mg. sodium per serving
1 can no-salt added navy beans, drained and rinsed
1. Rinse outside of chili pod. Take off stem, open up pod and rinse out seeds. Tear pod into quarters.
1. Place pork and chorizo sausage into a 10 inch skillet. Turn heat to medium. When sausage starts to sizzle, turn heat down to medium low; cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add blended tomato sauce mixture; stir to combine. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add beans. Stir to combine. Bring to soft boil; turn heat down and simmer 10 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
4. Add 1/2 cup water. Stir to combine. Bring to soft boil again; turn heat down and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes more. Serve in 4 small soup bowls.