Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Red Beans with Bacon
3 servings: 180 mg. sodium per serving
3 slices low sodium bacon, cut into small (1/2 inch) pieces
1. Combine onion and cabbage in a bowl.
1. Cook bacon pieces in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat until browned and crispy. Remove bacon; drain on a paper towel.
2. Add onion and cabbage to skillet. Stir to combine well. Cook over medium low heat until onion and cabbage are tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add beans, barbecue sauce, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to soft boil; turn heat to simmer. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
4. Heat cooked rice. Serve beans over 1/2 cup rice per serving. Sprinkle with bacon pieces.