Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Manicotti Noodles with Bell Pepper and Cheese
The low sodium nature of this dish relies on using low sodium marinara sauce which is difficult to find in the market. Using my marinara recipe fills this bill. If you use a store bought variety, adjust the sodium content accordingly.
4 servings: 257 mg. sodium per serving
8 Manicotti noodles
1. Cook noodles according to package instructions, without adding salt. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
1. Heat oil in a 9 inch skillet over medium low heat. Add bell peppers. Cook until peppers are tender, about 6 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add raisins, sherry and spices. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add spinach. Cook until spinach has wilted, stirring often.
4. Slowly sprinkle in cheese, stirring constantly until cheese has melted evenly into the mixture.
5. Divide bell pepper mixture into 4 equal portions. Stuff each cooked noodle with one of the portions. Place the stuffed noodles onto a lightly greased casserole dish. Top with marinara sauce.
6. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake stuffed noodles for 20 minutes. Remove casserole dish and sprinkle the extra cheese evenly over the noodles. Return to oven and bake for a minute or two, until cheese melts. Serve.