Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
This low sodium sauce can also be made with fresh tomatoes, using 2 pounds of tomatoes that have been cut into fourths and briefly crushed in a high power mixer or food processor. This process will give you about three cups crushed tomatoes.
24 (1 Tablespoon) servings: 26 mg. sodium per serving
1 Tablespoon oil
1. Combine onion and garlic in a bowl.
1. Heat oil in a stockpot over medium low heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add seasonings and sugar. Stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
3. Add wine. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook until wine has almost all evaporated, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add tomatoes, with juice. Bring to boil. Turn heat down to simmer. Stir to combine. Simmer, uncovered, until sauce is thick, about 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
6. Refrigerate sauce. If not used within a few days, freeze in 1 Tablespoon portions.