Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
This low sodium recipe was originally a high sodium recipe for a Thanksgiving pumpkin pie. I prefer the smooth taste of butternut squash, and the contribution of very low sodium soy milk.
1 (2-1/2 pound) butternut squash
1. Peel the hard skin from the butternut squash. Cut squash into 1 inch cubes. (Remove seeds and pulp with a spoon.) Place in a stockpot; barely cover with water. Bring water to a boil; turn heat down and simmer squash for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. In the large mixing bowl, blend remaining ingredients into the pureed squash, one at a time, until well blended.
3. Fill pie crust with squash mixture. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn heat down to 350 degrees F. Cook an additional 40 minutes, or until a fork inserted into the center comes out clean.
4. Place pie on a wire rack to cool. Refrigerate until serving time. Can be served with a dollop of whipped cream.