Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Sodium Free Pie Crust
The trick to getting a tender sodium free pie crust is to add just enough water so that the dough will be firm enough to form a ball, but will not be wet. If you find your crust is not tender, experiment with adding less water next time.
For Two (9 inch) pie Crusts
2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions:1. Measure flour into a large bowl. Add pieces of butter. Cut butter into the flour with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
2. Sprinkle water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, over flour mixture, tossing lightly with a fork from one side of the bowl to the other after each addition until mixture holds together when gathered into a ball. Knead dough ball lightly a few times.
3. Divide dough in half.
4. Roll out half of dough with a lightly floured rolling pin on a floured surface into a circle, about 12 to 14 inches round, and about 1/8 inch thick.
5. Carefully fold dough in half, lift gently and unfold into 9-inch pie pan.
6. Gently press dough against bottom and sides of pan. Trim dough overhang to 1/4 inch.
7. Fill crust with chosen ingredients. Repeat instruction number 4 for second crust.
8. Carefully fold dough for second crust in half; lift gently and place over the top of the pie filling, cutting off excess dough to 1/2 inch.
9. Seal the edges by folding the top crust under the bottom crust, then creasing the dough with your finger around the perimeter of the pie pan. Using a fork, poke several holes in the middle of the crust to allow steam to escape.
10. Bake pie according to recipe directions.
For One (9 inch) pie crust
1-1/2 cups flour
1. Follow Instructions 1 and 2 for Two (9 inch) pie crusts (above).
2. Roll out dough with a floured rolling pin on a floured surface into circle about 12 to 14 inches round and about 1/8 inch thick.
3. Carefully fold dough in half, lift gently and unfold into 9-inch pie pan. Trim dough overhang to 1/2 inch, then fold the edge under and crease the dough with your finger around the perimeter of the pie pan.
4. Fill crust with chosen ingredients. Bake according to recipe directions.