Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
This soup has no salt added. If you are just beginning a low sodium lifestyle, you may want to use 1 ounce of low sodium tortilla chips with up to 60 mg. of sodium per serving, which would increase the amount of sodium for each bowl of soup to 234 milligrams. As your taste buds adjust to lower sodium eating, you can begin using lower and lower sodium chips and still enjoy a tasty meal.
3 servings: 174 mg. sodium per serving
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
1. Place onion, jalapeno pepper, corn and garlic in a bowl.
1. Heat oil in a medium stockpot over medium low heat. Add onion, jalapeno pepper, corn and garlic. Cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add spices. Stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
3. Add tomatoes (with juice). Stir to combine. Bring to a low boil, then turn heat down to simmer. Simmer, uncovered, until tomatoes are soft, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add chicken broth. Bring to low boil, then turn heat down to simmer. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
5. Process soup in a blender, a portion at a time, until smooth. Once all the soup is processed, return soup to stockpot.
7. Break tortilla chips into 1 inch pieces.
8. Divide soup evenly into three soup bowls. Divide avocado, cheese, tortilla pieces and cilantro evenly between the three bowls. Serve.