Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Homemade low salt tomato soup offers a great opportunity for using summer fresh tomatoes. Leftover soup can be frozen for those cold winter months.
4 servings; 86 mg. sodium per serving
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
1. Combine green bell pepper, onion, black pepper and salt in a bowl.
1. Heat oil in a medium stockpot over medium-low heat.
2. Add green pepper, onion, black pepper and salt. Cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add flour; stir to combine.
4. Add tomatoes. Stir until well combined, about 20 seconds. Bring to a low boil; then turn heat down to low. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
5. Add sugar and simmer, uncovered, 5 more minutes.
6. Place mixture in a blender or food processor, a portion at a time, and blend until smooth. Pour each blended portion into a saucepan. Reheat and serve.