Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Tomato Barley Soup
This flavorful soup is easy to make, and goes well as a side dish for either lunch or dinner.
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
1. Drain tomatoes, saving 1/2 cup of the juice.
2. Combine onion, garlic and celery in a bowl.
3. Combine dried parsley flakes, pepper, garlic granules and salt in a separate bowl.
4. Have all other ingredients on hand.
1. Heat oil in a stockpot over medium low heat. Add onion, garlic, celery and drained tomato pieces. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender, stirring often.
2. Add spices. Stir to combine. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add chicken broth, 1/2 cup reserved tomato juice and barley. Stir to combine. Bring liquid to a boil. Turn heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, until barley is tender. Serve.