Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Summer Vegetable Soup
This delicious soup is easy to make; it just takes some chopping. The crushed red pepper flakes make the broth on the hot spicy side. If you prefer mild soup, cut the amount of red pepper flakes in half, or try eliminating them entirely.
6 servings: 128 mg. sodium per serving
2 Tablespoons healthy oil
1. Place chopped zucchini and yellow squash into a bowl.
2. Place chopped bell peppers and carrot into a separate bowl.
3. Combine rosemary, black pepper, salt and pepper flakes in a separate bowl.
4. Have all other ingredients on hand.
1. Heat oil in a stockpot over medium low heat. Add bell peppers and carrot. Cook until vegetables are tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add squashes. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring often.
2. Add rosemary, pepper, salt and pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
3. Add chicken broth. Bring broth to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Measure 1/2 cup rice into 6 soup bowls. Add soup to the bowls. Serve.*
*Even if you are not serving 6 people, you can make the full recipe and freeze the soup in portions without the rice. You then have a quick soup available whenever you have leftover rice.