Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Refried Black Beans
The low sodium content for these refried beans is somewhat lower if you use your own cooked black beans. Either way, this spicy version can save you hundreds of milligrams of sodium per serving.
(4 servings: 162 mg. sodium per serving)
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
1. Combine chili powder, cumin, salt and peppers in a bowl.
2. Have all other ingredients on hand.
1. Heat oil in a 9 inch skillet over medium low heat. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
2. Add onion and spices. Stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3. Add black beans. Stir to combine.
4. With a potato masher, mash the beans crudely. Slowly add water, mashing between each addition, until all water is used.
5. Turn heat up to bring beans to a gentle boil. Turn heat down to simmer. Simmer beans for about 7 minutes, until they are thick and water is absorbed, stirring often. Serve, or freeze in portions for later use.