Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Red Bell Pepper Sauce
This sauce can be served with small amounts of meat, chicken or tofu instead of or with the rice. Read labels and add the sodium content of the amount of the added ingredient to the above sodium content for an accurate sodium reading.
4 servings; 169 mg. sodium per serving
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
Combine onion, garlic and red bell peppers in a bowl.
2. Combine black pepper, lemon pepper and salt in a separate bowl.
3. Have all other ingredients on hand.
Heat oil in a 9-inch skillet over medium low heat. Add onion, garlic and red bell pepper. Stir to combine. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
2. Add spices. Stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add tomatoes, with juice, and sugar. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until red bell peppers are soft.
4. Serve over 1/2 cup cooked rice for each serving.