Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Kidney Beans with Mushrooms
3 servings: 228 mg. sodium per serving
4 teaspoons healthy oil
1. Combine onion, red bell pepper and garlic in a bowl.
2. Have all other ingredients on hand.
1. Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium low heat. Add mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms begin to brown, about 7 to 8 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add pepper and salt. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
5. Add beans. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a soft boil; then turn heat down to low. Simmer until the beans have absorbed the broth and the flavor of the mushrooms, about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve. (If serving with cooked rice, heat rice just before serving, then serve beans over 1/2 cup rice per serving.)