Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Croutons for Caesar Salad
The french bread used for these croutons is a round loaf and has a sodium content of 10 mg. per ounce, with one ounce (one large slice) equal to about 1 cup of bread cubes. If your market does not carry a similar bread, you will have to adjust the sodium content of the croutons according to the bread you purchase, or seek out the lowest sodium commercial croutons that you can find.
(For Caesar Salad)
2 - 1 cup servings: 15 mg. sodium per serving
2 cups bread cubes (1/2 inch) from low-sodium French bread, crust removed
1. Combine spices in a bowl.
1. Place cut cubes of bread into a large bowl. Pour oil over the cubes. Stir to distribute the oil evenly over the bread cubes.
2. Gradually sprinkle spices over bread cubes, stirring each time to thoroughly combine.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Spread bread cubes out on a cookie sheet. Bake until crisp, about 12 minutes. Cool and store in airtight container.