Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Creamy Potato Soup
6 (1 cup) servings; 100 mg. sodium per serving
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter or healthy oil
1. Combine pepper, rosemary, thyme and lemon pepper in a bowl.
1. Heat butter or oil in a stockpot over medium low heat. Add onions. Cook, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add potato water, potatoes, carrot and spice mixture. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are very soft.
3. Using a potato masher or fork, gently mash potatoes until they are dissolved. Add evaporated milk. Stir to combine.
4. Continue to cook on simmer for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not boil the soup.
5. Combine cornstarch with 2 Tablespoons liquid from the soup. Stir until smooth. Add to the soup. Stir until the soup has thickened. Serve.
*Save the water when potatoes are boiled for other recipes. Potato water adds a richer potato taste to the soup, and is lower in sodium than broths.