Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
This delicious soup is thicker and healthier than canned varieties. It is a complete low sodium meal in one colorful dish.
4 servings; 306 mg. sodium per serving
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
1. Place onion, garlic and jalapeno peppers in a bowl.
1. Heat the oil over medium-low heat in a stockpot. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno peppers. Cook until onions are tender, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add seasonings. Stir to combine.
3. Add chicken broth. Turn heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Then turn heat down to simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
4. Add chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes. Heat rice while the chicken simmers.
5. In four soup bowls, divide avocado and rice evenly. Ladle chicken soup into the bowls over the avocado and rice. Top each bowl with 1 Tablespoon of grated cheese. Serve.