Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Butternut Squash Patties
This squash recipe offers a tasty side dish. The mashed patty mixture is sticky. Using parchment paper that has been greased with oil makes turning the patties and cleaning the baking sheet much easier.
1 small butternut squash
1. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly grease the parchment paper with oil.
2. Combine basil, oregano, ginger, black pepper and salt in a bowl.
3. Have all other ingredients on hand.
1. Remove hard skin from butternut squash. Cut up squash into 1-inch pieces to make 2 cups squash pieces. Steam the squash in a steamer pot until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Spoon steamed squash into a bowl. Mash with a potato masher until smooth.
3. Add bread crumbs and egg, stirring well after each addition.
4. Add spices, a pinch at a time, stirring after each addition.
5. Measure squash mixture into six patties (about 1/4 cup each). Place patties on the parchment paper lined baking sheet. Flatten patties with a spatula.
6. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Bake patties for 10 minutes in the oven. Remove from oven.
7. Turn patties over. Bake for another 10 minutes, until patties are lightly browned. Serve.