Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Turkey Shepherd's Pie with Cheese
3 servings: 346 mg. sodium per serving
6 ounces leftover turkey breast, cut into small pieces (1/4 inch)
1. Prepare mashed potatoes. (See below)
2. Place onion, pepper and salt into a bowl.
3. Have all other ingredients on hand.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the flour. Stir to combine well.
3. Add milk. Stir to combine. Add onion, pepper and salt. Stir to combine. Cook for several minutes until the sauce thickens, stirring constantly.
4. Add turkey pieces. Stir to combine.
5. Place turkey mixture into the small casserole dish; spread evenly over bottom of the dish.
6. Sprinkle the top with cheese. Using your fingers, gently spread the 1/2 cup mashed potatoes evenly over the cheese. Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over the potatoes.
7. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until casserole is bubbly. Serve.
Low Sodium Mashed Potatoes
(Note: The remaining two (1/2 cup each) servings of mashed potato can be individually frozen for use in future turkey shepherd pies.)
3/4 pound russet potatoes
1. Peel and slice potatoes. Place in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil; turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Drain off water in a colander; return potatoes to saucepan.
2. Mash potatoes in the saucepan until they are smooth. Add milk. Mash again until smooth.
3. Add crushed garlic, Parmesan cheese, peppers and salt. Mash again until well combined. Set aside.