Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Stove Top Cabbage and Potatoes
1-1/2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
3/4 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon no salt added lemon pepper with garlic and onion
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
2. Place the shredded cabbage, chopped onion and minced garlic in a bowl with the dried herbs and spices.
3. Have all other ingredients on hand.
1. Heat oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium low heat.
2. Add the cabbage, onion, garlic, and herb/spice mixture to the pan. Stir to combine. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the cooked potatoes. Stir until well combined with the cabbage mixture.
4. Press the potato/cabbage mixture with a large spatula to mash the potatoes into the cabbage mixture. When well combined, flatten the mixture to make a 1/4 inch thick pancake. Cook for another 10 minutes to lightly brown the bottom of the potatoes.
5. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the potato mixture. Cover the pan and let cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, or until the cheese has melted. Serve.