Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Spicy Chorizo Cabbage
This complete meal uses lower sodium fully cooked chorizo (530 mg. per 2.9 oz. sausage link). Regular chorizo can be closer to 1,000 mg. of sodium for 2.9 oz. of meat.
2 servings: 436 mg. sodium per serving
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
1. Combine pepper, thyme and salt in a bowl.
1. Heat the oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium low heat. Add the onions. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add chorizo. Cook for 6 minutes, turning half way through to brown both sides.
3. Add garlic and cabbage. Stir to combine. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly, until cabbage is soft.
4. Add tomatoes. Stir to combine. Cook 2 more minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add seasonings. Stir to combine. Turn up heat. When cabbage mixture starts to sizzle, turn heat down to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Just before serving, heat the cooked rice. Serve cabbage mixture over the rice.