Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Rice with Red Beans
If commercial no salt added vegetable broth (140 mg. sodium per cup) is substituted for low sodium chicken broth, then the total sodium per serving would be 294 mg. If my vegetable broth (74 mg. of sodium per serving) is used, the total sodium per serving would be 229 mg. If you prefer a vegetarian dish, using homemade vegetable broth in place of chicken broth is a healthy alternative.
3 servings: 228 mg. sodium per serving
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
1. Bring chicken broth to a boil in a sauce pan. Add rice. Cover and simmer on low until the rice has absorbed all the liquid, about 20 to 25 minutes. Set aside.
2. Combine onion and garlic in a bowl.
3. Combine pepper and salt in a separate bowl.
4. Have all other ingredients on hand.
1. Heat oil over medium low heat in a 10 inch skillet. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms start losing their liquid, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add spices. Stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add beans, cooked rice and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine. Turn heat up briefly to medium until beans start to sizzle; then turn heat down to simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Serve.