Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
To "grate" and "shred" the onions and potatoes, I use electrical appliances: a small chopper to pulverize the onion, and a salad shooter to shred the potatoes after cutting them into quarters. A food processor can also be used. These electric conveniences save lots of time and effort compared to a hand held grater, although a hand held grater produces an excellent "grating" and "shredding" result.
12 pancakes: 78 mg. sodium per pancake
4 Tablespoons healthy oil
1. Grate onion prior to grating potatoes. Drain liquid, and place onion in a large bowl.
2. Shred potatoes. Pat off excess moisture with a paper towel. Place potatoes in the large bowl with onions. Add lemon juice. Stir until well combined.
3. Add the next five ingredients, stirring well after each addition.
1. Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a large (12 inch) skillet over medium heat. Add three (1/3 cup each) servings of batter into the skillet. Flatten pancakes with a spatula. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until brown.
2. Turn pancakes over. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until brown on the second side.
3. Transfer pancakes to a platter to drain on paper towels; keep warm.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 for remaining batter. Serve plain or topped with no salt added apple sauce.