Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Garbanzo Beans with Veggies and Rice
This low sodium recipe can be made vegetarian by substituting low sodium vegetable broth for the low sodium chicken broth. The amount of sodium per serving would be increased to 315 mg. since low sodium vegetable broth has more sodium than low sodium chicken broth. Both versions make for a complete and tasty meal.
2 Tablespoons healthy oil
1. Combine onion, carrot and bell pepper in a bowl.
2. Combine tomato sauce and chicken broth in a separate bowl.
3. Combine dried parsley, pepper and salt in a separate bowl.
4. Have all other ingredients on hand.
1. Heat oil over medium low heat in a 9-inch skillet. Add onion, carrot and bell pepper. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add tomato sauce and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
3. Add beans. Stir to combine.
4. Add spices. Bring mixture to a boil. Turn heat down to low, and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring often.
5. Add rice. Stir to combine, distributing the rice evenly throughout the mixture. Bring to boil again; turn heat down and simmer on low for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice has absorbed the liquid. Serve.