Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Chicken Shepherd's Pie
Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with beef or lamb. This low sodium version uses cooked chicken, a healthy alternative.
2 servings; 379 mg. sodium per serving
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
1. Lightly grease an 8 x 8 x 2 inch casserole dish with oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Heat the oil in a 9 inch skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and carrots. Cook until carrots are almost tender, about 8 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add spices and chicken. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add green peas; stir continuously for 2 minutes.
5. Add flour; stir until combined with chicken mixture. Add milk; stir until thickened.
6. Pour mixture into the greased casserole dish. Top with mashed potato topping, spreading it evenly over chicken mixture.
7. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Serve.
Mashed Potato Topping
12 ounces russet potato, peeled and sliced
1. Boil potatoes in water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
2. Mash the potatoes with the milk until smooth.
3. Add onion, garlic powder and cheese. Stir well to combine.