Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Black Beans with Rice
This dish is healthy in both its low sodium content and in providing all of the essential amino acids by bringing beans and rice together. If you make your own low sodium vegetable broth, you can substitute it for the chicken broth, and have a delicious vegetarian dish.
3 Servings; 252 mg. sodium per serving
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
1. Mash half a cup of the beans.
1. Heat the oil in a medium stockpot over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic, green bell pepper and celery and cook until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add spices mixed with lemon juice; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the mashed beans and stir until well combined.
4. Add the chicken broth. Stir until the mashed beans have dissolved into the broth. Add the rest of the beans. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil; turn down heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
5. Add the rice. Stir to combine. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 more minutes, until rice absorbs all of the liquid. Serve.