Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Kale with Black Beans and Almonds
Kale is a healthy vegetable that, when steamed in advance, makes recipes quick and easy. Add the beans and almonds, and this easy to prepare meal becomes healthy and hearty.
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
1. Combine onion and garlic in a bowl.
2. Combine basil, oregano, lemon pepper and salt in a separate bowl.
3. If using no salt added canned beans, drain and rinse beans. Measure out 1 cup. Freeze leftover beans for future recipes. Homemade beans are already drained and rinsed after cooking.
4. Have all other ingredients on hand.
1. Heat oil in a 9-inch skillet over medium low heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add spices. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
3. Add kale and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Cook, stirring often, until kale is heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Break up kale into small pieces with spoon while stirring.
4. Add beans. Stir to combine. Allow to simmer, stirring often, until heated through, about 3-4 minutes.
5. Add almonds. Heat through. Serve.
*If using homemade black beans, subtract 15 mg. of sodium from this dish's sodium content per serving.