Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Kidney Beans with Steamed Chopped Kale
Steamed chopped kale goes well with red kidney beans, providing color and a contrasting texture and taste. I freeze individual cups of steamed kale, making this type of recipe easy to cook. If you use vegetable broth which has a higher sodium content than chicken broth, add 20 mg. of sodium to each serving.
1 Tablespoon healthy oil
1. Combine onion and garlic in a bowl.
2. Combine pepper, oregano, basil and salt in a separate bowl.
3. Have all other ingredients on hand.
1. Heat oil in a 9-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add spices. Stir to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
3. Add chicken or vegetable broth and kale. Stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add beans. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil; then turn heat down to low. Simmer until beans absorb the liquid, about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve.