Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
These cookies are a simplified version of my Bachelor Button Cookies, with no salt or other sodium containing ingredients added. They contain zero sodium, yet are very tasty due to the addition of lemon juice. It's hard to beat a no sodium easy dessert recipe that is packed with flavor.
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1. Remove butter from refrigerator and allow it to soften.
2. Place all-purpose and whole wheat flours in a bowl. Stir to combine well.
3. Have all other ingredients on hand.
1. Place butter in a large bowl. Stir in sugar, mixing until mixture is creamy.
2. Add lemon juice. Mix until completely combined with butter/sugar mixture.
3. Gently stir in the flour mixture, about 1/3 cup at a time, blending well after each addition. Use your hands to knead the flour into the dough for the last few additions until the flour is well combined into the dough. Chill in refrigerator for about 15 to 20 minutes, until dough is no longer sticky.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
5. Roll dough with your hands into balls the size of hickory nuts, making 24 to 26 balls.
6. Place balls on ungreased cookie sheets. Gently press dough flat with a fork that has been lightly dipped in water to prevent sticking to dough.
7. Bake cookies 18 to20 minutes, or until bottom of cookies are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.