Healthy Recipes - Healthy Eating Print this page
Chewy Coffee Brownies
I clipped this recipe from Cooking Light Magazine in March of 1995, and have been enjoying it ever since. It was already very close to being low sodium; my modifications were to use sodium free baking powder and unsalted margarine. The brownies continue to be delicious.
24 servings: 21 mg. sodium per serving
1-1/2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
1. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place sugar, margarine and coffee granules in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until margarine melts and the mixture is smooth, about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl.
3. Add vanilla, egg whites and egg to sugar mixture. Beat at low speed of a mixer until smooth.
4. Add flour mixture, a small amount at a time, beating until well combined. Stir in chocolate morsels. Spread batter into the greased baking pan.
5. Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan. Cut into 24 bars.